Join Walk Tours NZ and Pridenz.com on this 90-minute walk tour of inner city Wellington, New Zealand. Most of the walk is on the flat using accessible public footpaths, although there is a section where we will take the steps down from Parliament to The Terrace and then from The Terrace down steps to Lambton Quay (an alternative route can be taken if required).
- Homosexual Law Reform
- The beginnings of rainbow radio broadcasting
- LGBTI rainbow personalities
- Churches and LGBTI rainbow communities
- Imprisonment on Matiu Somes Island
- A WW1 same-sex love story
- Starts: Meet on the steps of Parliament Buildings (by the flag poles) at 1pm
- Ends: Waterfront by Frank Kitts Park
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Cost / Bookings: free – no need to book. Just turn up, but please check the Facebook page for weather related cancellations.
- Areas covered: Parliament, The Terrace, Lambton Quay and the waterfront.
Features: Access Radio, Alexander Turnbull, AIDS Support Network, British High Commission, Bruce Burnett, Daniel Fielding, Destiny Church, Fran Wilde, Frank Sargeson, Gareth Farr, Gay BC, Georgina Beyer, Gerald Haxton, Gerald Wall, Gilbert Baker, The Glamaphones, Dr Hjelman von Danneville, Lesbian Programme, Katherine Mansfield, Maata Mahupuku, Peter Cuthbert, Rev. Dr Margaret Mayman, Roy Ayling, New Zealand AIDS Memorial Quilt, Norman Gibson, Norman Jones, Rupert Brooke, Salvation Army, Somerset Maugham, St Andrew’s on the Terrace, Tom McLean, Venn Young and Warren Freer.
Special thanks to Dr Alison Laurie and Hugh Young for allowing us to incorporate their research into this walk tour.